That the Caddo and Wichita Indian tribes occupied Texomaland before Anglo settlement? And the Comanche and Kiowa were settled farther to the west?
That Sherman, Texas, was named for General Sidney Sherman (July 23, 1805 – August 1, 1873), a hero of the Texas Revolution and one of Texas’ earliest railroad promoters?
That in the late 1830s, Rock Bluff Ferry operated near the mouth of Washita River close to Preston?
That in 1834, above Preston on the Red River, Leavenworth Camp was situated just west of the mouth of the Washita River? And that it was from this camp that George Catlin made some of his famous Indian paintings?
That in 1836, Fannin County was originally created from part of Red River County?
That in 1837, Colonel Holland Coffee built a trading post near Preston, TX, and Coffee Creek was named for him?
That in 1840, Preston Road/Shawnee Trail was authorized by an 1838 act of the Congress of the Republic of Texas? And that Col. W. G. Cooke and the Texas First Infantry Regiment laid out the military road from Austin north through what became Dallas to the Holland Coffee Trading Post on Red River?
That in 1846, Grayson County was established from part of Fannin County?
That in 1847, Grayson County’s first courthouse cost $232.00 to build and the county ordered the first county highway to be built between Sherman, and Preston, TX?
That in 1848, Grayson County’s first court was held under a pecan tree on the southeast corner of today’s present day square?
That in 1849, Sherman’s first school was built on the 100 block of Crockett Street?
That in about 1853, Ben Colbert opened up his ferry to cash in on the California gold rush and that Preston, TX, was located on one branch of the California Trail, where it crossed into Texas from the Indian Territory?
That in 1853, a road was built from Sherman to Colbert’s Ferry?
That in 1853, the Masonic building served as a Union church for the Methodists and Presbytarians?
That the Butterfield Overland Mail stage, which served between Saint Louis, Missouri, to San Francisco, California, began operation in 1857? The line ran across the Indian Territory from Fort Smith, Arkansas to the Red River at Colbert's Ferry, a few miles east of Preston. The stage line had decided to bypass Preston as the traditional crossing on the Red River.
That in 1857, the Grayson County jail was built of logs, there were no windows and doors, and prisoners were jailed by lowering them through a trap door in the roof? And that it was escape proof unless the prisoners had friends?
That from 1858 to 1861, Colbert's Ferry was the Red River crossing for the Butterfield Overland Mail stage? And that the stage route came straight through Sherwood Shores to the ferry?
That in 1858, a log cabin near the pecan tree on the square served as a courthouse and a hall of records?
That in 1859, Sam Houston gave a campaign speech in Julia-Shannon-Richard-King’s cow lot in Sherman because the city elders refused him the use of the courthouse?
That in the 1860s, the Sherman Male and Female Highschool was founded by Rev. William Petty, under The Methodist Conference?
That in 1865-1866 Native Americans from Indian Territory continually raided Red River settlers?
That in 1867, Sherman’s first newspaper, The Sherman Courier, opened its doors?
That between 1867 and 1871, large herds of cattle were driven over Preston Road to Rock Bluff to Colbert’s Ferry, and helped Texas recoup after the Civil War? And that one of the biggest cattle buyers in Grayson County at that time was an African American named Bill Douglas?
That in 1868, Sherman was a more important financial center than Dallas?
That in 1870, Sherman’s second newspaper, The Patriot, was established? And that Texas’ first steam operated cracker factory produced 200 to 300 barrels a day that year?
That in 1871, The Sherman Male and Female Highschool became the Kidd-Key College and Music Conservatory for women and then became the North Texas Female College in 1874?
That in 1872, The Merchants and Planters Bank opened for business with $5,542,223 in resources and deposits of 4,549,005.17?
That the first train in Texomaland was the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, and it reached Corsicana in 1871, Dallas in 1872, and Denison in 1873?
That in 1875, the Sherman business district was destroyed by fire twice?
That in 1876, the first barbed wire fence was introduced in Grayson County which resulted in smaller farms? And that Austin College (founded in 1849) moved from Huntsville to Sherman?
That in 1877, shipping buffalo hides was the biggest industry in Grayson County?
That in 1877, a new jail was built for $100,000 with a revolving cell block that was escape-proof, but prisoners stuck things through the bars to prevent it from revolving when the jailer released prisoners (and escaped)?
That in 1880, shipping walnut logs from Grayson County to Germany was big business?
That in 1892, the College Hill Literary Club was the first women’s club in Sherman?
That in 1896, the City of Sherman erected the first monument in the south to the Confederacy?
That in 1896, a tornado (called cyclones back then) in May caused 75 deaths?
That in 1898, The Sherman Shakespeare Club raised $1.00 from 100 citizens to begin a subscription library?
That in 1904, the First Electric Railway Company operated between Sherman and Denison by J. B. Creager?
That in 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt visited Sherman?
That in 1911, The Sherman Free Library was born with a book shower on July 12, and the first librarian’s name was Daisy Polk?
That in 1912, The Sherman Free Library received a $30,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie?
That in 1913, The Wilson N. Jones Memorial Hospital was built by Dr. E. J. Neatherly with a normal capacity of 54 beds and 66 in emergency cases?
That in 1927, the North East Texas Motor Lines Incorporated was a trucking company established by the Railroad Commission and its phone number was 568?
That in 1930, fire destroyed the Grayson County Courthouse and many records? (caused by a riot)
That in the 1930s, Sherman was considered to have no slums, just that on the east side the houses were small and occupied by laborers, plus the industrial district consisted of plants located on the train tracks?
That in 1935, The U.S. Agricultural census counted 37,110 cattle, 4,867 sheep, 10,442 hogs, 4,607 horses, and 9,827 mules in Grayson County?
That in 1935, Grayson, Cooke, and Fannin Counties marketed about 200,000 pounds of milk daily?
That in 1935, that the demographics in Sherman were considered to be 82% Anglo-American, 12% African-American, 9% foreign, and 70% church members, of which Protestants were the majority?
That in 1936, the Grayson County Courthouse was rebuilt with native limestone and concrete and that the interior hallways and stairways are made of imported Italian Rosetta Marble that cost $300,000?
That in 1940, Eleanor Roosevelt visited Sherman for a lecture at the Municipal Auditorium?
Undated Trivia Before 1940
That Crest Nest Cabins catered to traveling men? They were located ¾ mile north of Sherman.
That the Grayson Fish Market sold fresh fish daily and seafood in season?
That there were four modern sound theaters in Sherman?
That Gilmer’s Dairy sold raw milk, whipping cream, coffee cream, churned buttermilk, chocolate milk, and Nesbitt’s Orangeade?
That the Sherman TX public library once held a Dixie Collection with pictures of Confederate Soldiers and the new south, Lee, Jefferson Davis, and their staff?
Farrar’s Good Shoes sold “Good Shoes Correctly Fitted”?
That cars had their own salon because Madison Auto Beauty Shop did painting, seat repairs and metal work?
That Livingston Brothers were the headquarters for John B. Stetson hats and sold Manhattan shirts and pajamas, interwoven socks, and Racine Pacesetter Shoes?
That you could dine on good sandwiches and drink cold beer, plus dance at Cold Springs Tavern in Colbert, OK?
Lindsay Potato Chips came in moisture proof bags and were plain or waffled?
That there was a hat for every purse at Weingarten Millinery?
That religious revivals were the main entertainment in the early settlement days? The Sherman Democrat reported this story: During a revival, a boy painted pitch on several attendee’s saddles. One saddle belonged to a 200 lb deacon and when he mounted his horse, he became as “immovable as the Rock of Ages” He became so angry at the children laughing at him that he swore, “I’m a Christian, have been for more than 20 years, but show me that BLEEP scoundrel, and I’ll whip the BLEEP out of him in five minutes by the clock”.
Erlichman, Howard (2006). Camino Del Norte: How a Series of Watering Holes, Fords, and Dirt Trails Evolved Into Interstate 35 in Texas. Texas A&M University Press. p. 284. ISBN 9781585444731.
Bryce, J. Y. (September 1930). "Temporary Markers of Historic Points". The Chronicles of Oklahoma. Oklahoma Historical Society. 8 (3): 282–290. Retrieved November 20, 2008.
Gard, Wayne (1984). The Chisholm Trail. Norman, Oklahoma: University of Oklahoma Press. p. 296. ISBN 9780806115368.
Morrison, W.B. (June 1927). "Fort Washita". The Chronicles of Oklahoma. 5 (2). Retrieved November 20, 2008.